Wednesday 24 May 2017

Sautéed veg roll


Growing up in Nigeria, every kid loved the idea of having snacks at parties or just as a treat. You could have the local ones on the street or the posh ones from Mr biggs and Tantalizers. Just thinking about their meat pie makes me salivate. The street ones were mainly buns, egg rolls and fish roll. Those were the days I would run home from school to eat my mum’s homemade ones or my mum would get me to do my chores quickly by promising me snacks in the end.  I still can’t get over those days and today I will be sharing with you guys a fish roll inspired recipe.




I used to enjoy the fried fish roll back in the day but being all grown up now I don’t exactly enjoy eating fried stuff anymore. Also, I used some vegetables as well as tuna to make this snack. So what we have is sautéed vegetables wrapped in soft dough and baked to perfection.


add enough water just to hold the dough together like this

I used cabbage, carrot and onions and it tastes delicious. Feel free to leave out the onions if you don’t like onions but I personally think that onions always add a unique flavour to food.


What you’ll need
  1. 2 ½ cups of flour plus extra for dusting
  2. One can of tuna
  3. 1 egg
  4. A pinch of salt
  5. 2 table spoons of sugar
  6. 2 table spoons of butter
  7. 1 cup of water
  8. 1 table spoon of oil
  9. Onions
  10. Cabbage
  11. Carrots

How to make it
  • Prepare the vegetables.  Clean and slice the vegetables thinly.
  • Make the though. Combine the dry ingredients. Mix in the butter till you get a smooth crumb texture. Start by mixing in little drops of water till it comes together as dough. Knead the dough till it’s smooth and soft.
  • Make the vegetables. Start by heating the oil till it’s hot. Add the onions and fry till it softens. Add carrots and cabbage until it’s cooked but not overly cooked. Then add the tuna. season with salt and about a tsp and half of oyster sauce.
  • Divide the dough into small balls around the size of a golf ball. Use your rolling pin to flatten the dough. Fill one end of the dough with the vegetable mix and roll the dough neatly. Bind the dough with egg.
  • Cover the dough in egg wash. Use a fork to pierce a little on the surface. Bake for 30 minutes or until well cooked.
yum!!





No comments:

Post a Comment