Wednesday 31 May 2017

My take on trendy diets



So today is one of those days I just wish to rant. As a food lover, I can’t help but notice different diet trends all over the internet like vegan, ketogenic, fad diet, food replacements etc.  I understand that people do this for various reasons such as health conditions, perceived cruelty to animals or weight loss. What I don’t understand is why people criticize those who eat meat. Some Christians site the bible verse Gen1:29 as God’s original plan for Christians to be pure vegetarians.
However, in Genesis 9 vs 3 God said “Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you even as the green herb have I given you all things”. We can see that God has given us total dominion to eat both meat and herbs. In the Old Testament, there was a distinction between clean and unclean animals and the Israelites were permitted to eat clean animals and were forbidden from the unclean ones. In the New Testament, these rules were done away with through a vision in Acts 10 vs 15b “what God has cleansed, that call not thou common”.  In Romans 14:14 Paul expands “I know and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth anything to be unclean to him it is unclean.”  This verse I believe is simply what it is. If you call something unclean, then it will be unclean to you. I strongly believe that food and drinks do not defile or make one unclean. In Matthew 15:11 “Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man, but that which cometh out of a man that defileth a man” Paul said in Corinthians 10:27 eat what is set before you, asking no questions for conscience sake.


Here are my thoughts.

Some Christians believe that it is cruel to kill animals for food but I personally believe it is part of the natural food cycle. Animals feed on other animals too and even humans when they get the opportunity. God made us in his own image and likeness and have given us the dominion over all animals and herbs. I choose to be thankful and eat all things in moderation as I am free in my conscience to do so. If one is not strong enough to eat meat then so be it but please don’t judge others.

Some diet like ketogenic diet calls for total avoidance of carbohydrate. I believe that all the classes of food have their own health benefit. I would strongly advise that people seek professional attention in order to ensure that they are getting the right nutrition their body needs.
I believe that everything should be done in moderation Phil 4:5; 1cor 14:40. I believe people should eat food in the right proportions. I like to have both vegetables, protein (i.e. meat or fish), a little bit of carbs and some fruits and yes I like to indulge sometimes. In all things there should just be decency and moderation. Exercise is also very important. God hates laziness Proverbs 24: 32-33 I like to think of poverty as a deficiency. If you sit around sleeping and folding your arms without the right amount of exercise you should expect to have both poverty of the mind and health.
example of what your plate should look like

That being said, I ask for God’s grace on us all as we run this heavenly race so that we may not fall short.


Yours truly

No comments:

Post a Comment